17 March 2010

ANNE STAHL interview. new painting.

For ARTP 499 we had to interview an artist in order to prepare for a presentation about that selected artist. I chose the artist Anne Stahl. I'm posting here the interview with her because I think her work is awesome, because it was cool that she did this for me, and also because she had some interesting things to say.


RE: Was your education helpful to your career? If so, in what way(s) has it been helpful?
[Anne Stahl] Yes, very much so. The college I attended was focused on teaching us useful things like: knowledge of materials, technique, philosophy, discipline, critical thinking, other art exposure, art history, etc... The ART would have to come from us and it does.

RE: What has been easy about getting where you are as an artist; what has been challenging?
[Anne Stahl] I have been blessed with an endless supply of ideas and visions. It is hard to make a living and survive poverty, lack of support and culture.

RE: In terms of your career as an artist, if you had to do anything differently, what do you wish you had done?
[Anne Stahl] Not so much done, but I know my work would be much more known and exhibited and bought, if I were more outgoing of a person. But I'm a bit of a hermit and don't like to talk and network at all.

RE: What is the process you take in finding galleries and other places to exhibit your work at? That is, do you research on your own, rely on others, or is it some combination of the two?
[Anne Stahl] Unfortunately I have been ripped off by the majority of the galleries I have dealt with thus far, and so no longer pursue gallery shows. I do enjoy working with agents/dealers who are - in my experience - more professional, courteous and do not hold any of my work. Contracts seem to give artists nothing but responsibilities, because at the end of the day if the other party is not fulfilling the contract, do you have the money to sue them? No. So, THEY can get away with breaching the contract while the artist generally can not.

RE: In your statement you mention working with conservation groups and biologists to learn more about the subjects for your work—could you elaborate a little on this for me? Do you contact them with questions, attend lectures, read articles on/offline, and/or etc.?
[Anne Stahl] Yes, I like to get non-art related opinions and information. This has been very helpful in the past as scientists are often creative people but not visual. Hearing their ideas and thoughts can provide me with triggers of visions that I would not otherwise have had. I believe that science and art are very closely related and find fact are at the source of much of my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment