03 November 2009

Sean McNulty; fractals


This guy does some really interesting work.

These abstract lanscapes that McNulty paints look like aerial images to me, and that's probably what they are inspired by if I had to guess. Sure, I certainly find aerial images to be interesting as well, but really only in their relation to microscopic rock textures. A lot of it has to do with the fact that it reminds me of fractals - no matter how far or close you are zoomed in or out, the image is seems to be repeated. It looks so similar that it seems uncanny. Last year, Vincent and I watched this video from the library about fractals and it nearly blew my mind. Goddamn, I love science. Learning about the repetition in coastlines really tied some things together inside my brain. I mean, of course I find everything to be significant haha.


This is a simplified explanation of what I've mentioned poorly:
APPLICATIONS OF FRACTALS

No comments:

Post a Comment